SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

Sprig Muslin

Sprig Muslin - Georgette Heyer

I'm pretty sure I've read this, one of Georgette Heyer's Regency romps, but it must have been about 30 years ago.  It was just as enjoyable this time.

The plot is so convoluted that I won't even try to explain it all, but a bizarre and hilarious road trip is set up when Sir Gareth Ludlow sets out to propose marriage to Lady Hester Thrale, long "on the shelf" at 29, not because he loves her, but because he thinks they would suit well enough, and discovers Amanda "Smith" (she won't give her real name), clearly a young and well-bred girl, traveling alone and attempting, very shockingly, to be hired on as a chambermaid at a posting inn.  He is appalled, and takes her under his wing, though she doesn't want to be there.

And Lady Hester refuses his marriage proposal.

The complications pile on from there, but I don't want to spoil anyone's fun.

I can't seem to find a copy of Venetia, but I had this one, and all the talk of Georgette Heyer made me feel like picking one up again.