SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

Dear Committee Members

Dear Committee Members - Julie Schumacher

As the title might suggest, this is an epistolary novel, told in the form of letters from a harried professor of English and creative writing at a mid-level liberal arts college in the U.S. mid-west.

Many are letters of recommendation for current or former students, whom he remembers to varying degrees (not to mention recommends to varying degrees).  Others are addressed to ex-wife or ex-girlfriend (both at the university), his literary agent, his department chair (a sociologist), or the university.  (Big beefs include the English department's lack of budget for practically anything - including hiring to replace, IT support, or student stipends - and particularly the issue of building renovation.  The building is shared by English and economics.  It is being renovated, complete with various leaks, collapses, and asbestos particles - the economists have been moved elsewhere, while the English faculty must remain in the squalor.)

I found this an amusing read, particularly as I grew up around academic departments - my parents are English professors - and many of these details ring true, but made funnier, here.  (For example, I can remember when one local English department was gifted with a new department chairman - a professor of agriculture - and another that was not allowed to make phone calls, due to a budget crisis.)  I'm not sure how funny it would be to someone who doesn't have that kind of background, however.