SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

50 Questions

I see this is going around.  As I'm already in corrupted databases (gee, thanks, Nikki Haley), and none of these look like classic password bait, I'm game.

1. Do you sleep with your closet doors open or closed?  Partly open; this is an old house and it won't close all the way.  It's closed enough to keep the cat out of my shoes.

2. Do you sleep with your sheets tucked in or out?  I'm not sure I understand this one.  The top sheet is loose on the sides, but tucked in firmly at the bottom, because I am a notorious kicker.

3. Have you ever stolen a street sign?  No.  One of my roommates did, however.  (She also stole a Blue Light Special sign from K-Mart.)

4. Do you ever cut out coupons and not use them?  All the time.  It's a minor miracle when I remember to use one and it hasn't expired six months ago.

5. Would you rather be attacked by bears or bees?  NEITHER.

6. Do you have freckles?  It's the summer, so yes.

7. Do you always smile for pictures?  I try to.

8. Do you ever count your steps when you walk?  Not these days.  (I did when I was re-learning to walk.)

9. Have you ever peed in the woods?  No.

10. Have you ever pooped in the woods?  No.

11. Do you chew pens and pencils?  I don't precisely "chew" them (there are no markings on them afterwards), but I used to put them in my mouth and suck them.  The lovely Freudian psychiatrist (the one who looked at me like I was a dead fish and gave me I'm OK, You're OK as my entire therapy) said I was orally fixated, like my parents.  (They smoked, I never have.)

These days I have an addiction to peppermint (cinnamon no longer seems available) Orbit chewing gum.

12. What's your song of the week?  Well, I've had a persistent earworm this month, but as it's Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin, I'm not complaining.  (I don't like or listen to much current music.)

13. Is it OK for guys to wear pink?  Sure.  It looks better on some than on others, of course, as with anyone and any color.

14. Do you still watch cartoons?  Not really.

15. What do you drink with dinner?  Either Diet Coke or sweet tea.  (I'm a Southerner, it's the law.)

16. What do you dip chicken nuggets in?  I don't eat chicken nuggets.  That said, in the dipping sauces category I tend to go for soy sauce, as a lot of the other options have too much sugar.  (I'll opt for vinegar-based NC barbecue sauce, if that's available.)

17. What's your favorite food?  A first-class steak, preferably cooked with mushrooms and marsala.  Alternately, whatever my mother's making for dinner.  (She is an excellent cook.)

18. Were you ever a boy or girl scout?  No.

19. Would you ever strip or pose naked for a magazine? Aw hell no.

20.  Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket?  Speeding, no.  I didn't speed much, when I was driving.

21. Favorite kind of sandwich?  Bacon-cheddar-tomato, toasted under the broiler.  Fabulous.

22. Best thing to eat for breakfast?  Waffles, which I only get on vacation, as they're such a pain to make on a 1959 waffle iron.  I am not that awake for that in the morning!  I'll have the waffles with bacon, an egg, and some mushrooms, and orange juice.

23. What's your usual bedtime?  Varies.  Midnight is early; 3 or 4 am is late.  I have an insomnia problem.

24. Are you lazy?  I call it conserving energy for the trials ahead.  Seriously, having had a stroke means that I have to consider how much energy I have to do things I want to do in a day, and sometimes they can't all get done.

25. What is your Chinese astrology sign?  Fire horse.

26. How many languages can you speak?  English, Southern, and knitting.  I actually qualified for a minor in French, which I can still read, and I can understand more than I can speak.  I also took Latin in school, but few actually speak Latin.

27. Do you have any magazine subscriptions?  I get Discover, and The New Yorker, Food & Wine, National Geographic, Model Railroader, Southern Living, and Martha Stewart Living also come to this house.

28. Are you stubborn?  I can be very stubborn on occasion.

29. Are you afraid of heights?  Yes.  I inherited this and claustrophobia from my father.

30. Do you sing in the  car?  When I was younger; if my mother was driving at night she'd request me to sing, to keep her awake.  (Radio stations neither now or then played the Kingston Trio and The Weavers.)

31. Do you dance in the car?  I think so?

32. Ever used a gun?  No.  I have, however, passed an NRA safety test.  (I took archery.  The exam covered both.)

33. Last time you had your portrait taken by a photographer?  A professional photographer? Not counting wedding pictures-with-bride/groom, the 1980s.

34. Do you think muscles are cheesy?  Um, I don't like beefcake, if that's what's being asked.

35. Favorite type of fruit pie? Apple.

36. Occupation you wanted to be when you were a kid?  When I was about eight I got so sick of "and what do you want to be when you grow up, little girl?" questions from well-meaning adults that I started to say what was true: either a marine biologist or an archaeologist.  That would usually be greeted by dead silence.

37. Do you believe in ghosts?  I have experienced some strange things, but I think the state of the evidence is very much "not proven."

38. Ever had a deja vu feeling?  I once drove a route I had never driven before, but I had dreamed it the night before.  I got exactly where I was intending to go, too.

39. First concert: The Rolling Stones.  (Thanks, Daddy!)

40. Nike or Addidas?  Neither, as neither fit me terribly well.  Mostly I wear Easy Spirit (sneakers), dress shoes from Hotter, or bedroom slippers around the house.  I have dreaded going to shoe stores since I was about 4 - I can rule out approximately 95% of what's there on entering the store as either something I wouldn't wear in the first place, or something that won't fit.  (One foot is 6E, the other is 6EE, both with high arches.)

41. Ever take dance lessons?  I took both ballet and modern dance as a child.  Oddly enough, many of my leg exercises after the stroke are moves I knew from ballet.  More recently, my classmates in a "popular music of the 1960s" class taught me the Twist.  (My balance issues don't come up much with that one, oddly enough.  Ballroom, however, is right out.)

42. Regularly burn incense?  Not these days.

43. Who would you like to see in concert?  Of active/living artists?  Adele.

44. Hot tea or cold tea?  Both. I like hot tea, and I drink sweet iced tea because it's the law (see #15).

45. Tea or coffee?  Tea.  Love the smell of coffee, but the way I like to drink it has far too much cream and sugar in it, so I stick to tea.

46. Can you swim well?  I used to.  These days, due to poor vision (I am extremely nearsighted) and the shape of our swimming pool (think classic 50s kidney), I call my swimming style "advanced doggie paddle."

47. Are you patient?  Yes, and I'm lucky, as it's a good attitude for the situation I'm in.  My mantra is "if not today, maybe tomorrow."

48. DJ or band at a wedding?  DJ, I guess.  The most interesting wedding dinner I've ever attended had both a mariachi band and a DJ booth which played music I can only describe as "salsa and disco had a baby."  It was a fun wedding.

49. Black or green olives?  Black.  I can tolerate black olives.  (They are OK on pizza and in other dishes I like).  I have thought green olives were of the devil since I was 3 and my father graciously let me have the olive from his martini.  UGH!!!!!!

50. Would you rather live in a fictional world or the real world?  Depends on the world; some are very nasty indeed.  For example, I enjoy reading about Harry Potter, but I'm not sure I'd like to live in that universe.