SusannaG

Queen's Gambit: A Novel
Elizabeth Fremantle
Progress: 22 %

Happy Fourth of July!

Happy Fourth of July! to all my fellow Americans.

John Adams, not only one of the signers, but a member of its writing committee, triumphantly believed that from 1776 on, the date of the adoption of our Declaration of Independence would be celebrated with "Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, guns, Bells, Bonfires, and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

He thought, however, that the date remembered would be July 2nd, 1776 - oops!  However, from the start the date the people chose to remember and celebrate has been the 4th of July.  We've been calling it Independence Day since 1791.  Since 1870 it's been a federal holiday, as well.

And we've had three presidents whose lives have oddly intertwined with the holiday: John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both died on July 4, 1826, on the 50th anniversary, and Calvin Coolidge was born on July 4th, 1872.

And we've even been celebrating it here in the South for over a century.  (From 1865 up until the end of the 19th century, and in some places until World War I, it was a holiday only for blacks and Yankees down here in the South.  We Southerners can hold a grudge.)

So today let's follow John Adams' advice and remember the sacred date with parades, flags, baseball games, patriotic bunting, fireworks (my poor cat), barbeque, mom, apple pie, and everything else that's good about America.