SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %
Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %
Cosmic Quest Cd (Bbc Audio)
Heather Couper
Firedrake's Eye
Patricia Finney
Progress: 15/249 pages

What the Hell Happened to Romanian Gymnastics?

— feeling confused

Romania won team medals in women's gymnastics in every Olympics between 1976 and 2012, winning the gold as a team in Los Angeles in 1984, Sydney in 2000, and Athens in 2004.  No country won more Olympic medals in women's gymnastics in that period.

Here they are with the bronze team medals at London, four years ago.

This may be one of the greatest shockers of the Rio Olympics: Romania did not qualify for the team competition in women's gymnastics!

This is their gymnastic team this year:

Her name is Catalina Ponor, and she is a very distinguished gymnast (a former multiple Olympic gold medalist), and she carried the Romanian flag in the opening ceremonies - but she is 28, which is old for a female gymnast.  (Most of her competitors here are 16-20).

Why?  The top twelve teams at last year's world championships qualified to enter the Olympic team competition.

Romania was 13th.

Why?  Injury was part of it.  But there has to be more to it than that, I think.

Ponor, however, is far from the oldest female gymnast at these Olympics, though - that title goes to Oksana Chusovitina, representing Uzbekistan.  She is 41.  41!  She was born in 1975, and originally competed for the Soviet Union.  This is her seventh Olympics - she won team gold for the "Unified Team" at Barcelona in 1992, which was her first games.  (She has also competed for Germany.)  Most of her competitors this time are literally old enough to be her daughters.

My hat's off to both of them.