SusannaG

Elizabeth: The Forgotten Years
John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

Sunday Soup: Fish Chowder

They had some very nice tilapia on special down at the fish counter at Publix, so we decided to make fish chowder.  This is an old favorite recipe, and is delicious and satisfying.  A mug will fill you up very nicely.

3 or 4 potatoes, peeled

couple of stalks of celery, chopped

1/4 cup of vermouth

3-4 small onions, chopped

4-6 pieces of cooked bacon

3 or 4 cooked fillets of a white, firm fish, like cod

at least 1 pint milk

salt and pepper

Fry the bacon until crisp.  Poach the fish (cook for about 5 minutes in simmering water, with salt and pepper).  After it cools enough to slice, cut it into inch-sized pieces.  Saute the onions on low heat in the bacon fat until they are limp but not brown.  Cook the diced potatoes and celery in the milk, to which you add the vermouth.  Add the chopped onions, the fish, and the crumbled bacon.  Don't boil after the fish has been added.  Serve with a nice hot bread and butter - it makes a lot and somehow expands to feed however much company you have.

If there are any leftovers the next day, be sure to add more milk; it tends to thicken a lot in the refrigerator.