SusannaG

John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

The Girl Who Chased the Moon

The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen

I read The Girl Who Chased the Moon to fulfill the the Full Moon square on the bingo card, and I'm glad I did.  It's a lovely, lyrical and sweet story of second chances in Mullaby, North Carolina.  (Mullaby is fictional; author Sarah Addison Allen is a North Carolina native, born in Asheville, however, and it shows.)

There are two principal narrators: Emily, who is a teenager and new to town, having just moved in with the grandfather she's never even met before; and Julia, who grew up there and moved away, but has come back to run her late father's barbecue joint, to which she has added a bakery (his passion was Lexington-style "red sauce" barbecue, but her own is cake and other baked goods).

Emily learns, and Julia remembers, that Mullaby is a town where strange things happen, and unusual people live.  Emily's wallpaper changes to suit her mood, for example.  And there are strange fleeting lights in the woods at night.

It was a charming read, and would also fit the Magical Realism square.