SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %
Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %
Cosmic Quest Cd (Bbc Audio)
Heather Couper
Firedrake's Eye
Patricia Finney
Progress: 15/249 pages

Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd

Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd - Alan Bradley

My ARC courtesy of Random House/Net Galley - much thanks!  My opinions are my own.

Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd is the eighth Flavia de Luce historical mystery.  In this one, it is near Christmas 1951, and she has returned home to England from her "banishment" in boarding school at Miss Bodycote's in Canada, where instead of her whole family greeting her at Southampton, as she expected, she finds only the old butler/general factotum, Dogger.  Her father is in the hospital with pneumonia; her older sisters, Ophelia and Daphne, and even her annoying younger cousin, Undine, are visiting him.

Flavia, aged 12 and still obsessed with chemistry and detection, cheers up quite a bit when, in attempting to deliver a note for the vicar's wife, she finds a corpse instead.  And sees a twitching curtain across the road at the local witch's house.

This is a charming series, and I found this a stronger installment than the last - it was good to be back at Buckshaw and Bishop's Lacey.  The mystery was nicely done, too.

I'm using this one for the "Genre: Mystery" square.  (It would not qualify for Black Cat, as the cat, and there is one, is not black, alas.)