SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

Sunday Soup: Chicken Tortilla Soup

— feeling hungry

We make this one in the slow cooker, generally using leftover roast chicken.  But you can also make it in a soup pot on the stove.

1 or 2 chicken breasts, or 6-8 oz of chicken, or a leftover chicken carcass with some meat still on it

30 oz., or 2 of the smaller cans, of tomatoes, preferably with chili peppers added - we used our own tomatoes, frozen from this summer (we're having a tomato bonanza this year, and still have several hundred tomatoes on the vine)

a can of enchilada sauce, or a jar of salsa, or salsa verde

2 cups frozen corn

1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons oregano

3 corn tortillas, roughly torn or chopped into approximate 1-inch pieces

garnishes

the juice of a couple of limes

parsley (we hate cilantro - use it if you like it)

sour cream

serve with

warmed whole tortillas

In the slow cooker, you can either put in everything except the garnishes and cook on high for 4-6 hours, or low for 8-10.  (We usually do high for about 4ish hours.)  At the end you'll want to remove the chicken, shred the chicken with a fork, and put the shreds back in.  Serve with whatever garnishes you like (I'm partial to lime and sour cream), and warm tortillas, to eat like bread, with it.

We made this last night, using the carcass of a chicken we had roasted earlier this week.  Delicious.  We still have plenty of leftovers.