SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Captain Blood

Captain Blood: His Odyssey - Roxanne Kent-Drury, Rafael Sabatini

Captain Blood is a marvelous tale of a doctor unjustly sentenced to ten years of slavery in Barbados, his escape to piracy, and his vendetta with both the Spanish and King James II of England.  If I had been an adolescent reading this in the 1920s, when it was published, I could not have failed to give it at least four stars.

It is, however, nearly a century later, and I had to dock it for the persistent racist comments, not only about blacks (or "negroes," as this book calls them), but also anyone who isn't an Englishman.  For example, our omnicient narrator is astonished that Captain Blood's father was not a drunkard, because he was Irish.

On the other hand, if you want good clean swashbuckling fun, and are willing to overlook the above problem (as the book being a product of its time), this is a corker of a read.

It also a produced a fine movie in 1935, starring two relatively unknown actors, Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland.  (It made both their careers.)

Pirates ahoy!