SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

Six of Crows

Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows can probably best be described as "Oceans Eleven in a fantasy universe." A gang of criminals can get immensely rich, beyond their wildest dreams, if they pull off an impossible crime - in this case, breaking a man out of the world's toughest prison.

It manages to be a good read despite having 6 or 7 narrators.  My heart drops as a general rule when I see that many narrators listed, because mostly authors can't pull off that much character creation.  Leigh Bardugo did a pretty good job here - she labels the narrator of each chapter up front (so you don't have to guess), doesn't switch in mid-chapter or even mid-paragraph (I've seen that, and it's not pretty), and they're each distinct characters - you can tell them apart, they all have believable motivations, and they each read differently.

Bardugo does not info dump, I am thankful to say.

The novel ends on quite a cliffhanger.  (I was not happy, as I was under the impression that this was a stand alone.  Also my library does not have the sequel.)

I was also not happy that the novel ended at 76% of the ebook.  Did we really need a quarter of the space for not one, but two previews of other books?