SusannaG

H. Rider Haggard
Progress: 4 %

Halloween Bingo Update 1: The Canterville Ghost

The Canterville Ghost - Oscar Wilde, Inga Moore

The Canterville Ghost is a charming novella by Oscar Wilde, dating, I believe, to about 1887.  The American Minister to the Court of St. James rents the country house of the Canterville family, despite being informed that it's haunted by a dire ghost, because he doesn't believe in ghosts.  Also he figures his incorrigible twin boys (known generally as "Stars and Stripes") will be more than a match for it, if it even exists.

There is indeed a ghost - Sir Simon de Canterville, who has been a successful haunt since 1585.  This time, however, his haunting fails, and the only one who is apparently moved is the Americans' daughter, fifteen-year-old Virginia.

I may have read The Canterville Ghost many years ago - but then again I may just have seen the movies.  There's a version from 1944, which my mother grew up with, with Robert Young, Margaret O'Brien, and Charles Laughton as the Ghost, but that's not the one I first saw.  That version was one for TV made in the mid-1970s, with David Niven as the Ghost, and it may be the adaptation I've seen that's closest to the novella.  (There are also more modern adaptations, but the only one of those that I have seen is the one from the mid-80s, with Alyssa Milano and John Gielgud as the Ghost.)  There is apparently yet another version "in preparation" now.  With Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie attached.

At any rate, this was a charming start to the bingo, and it fulfills the first call: "Ghost."

Called and Read:

Ghost - The Canterville Ghost, by Oscar Wilde.