SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

How to Create the Perfect Wife

How to Create the Perfect Wife: Britain's Most Ineligible Bachelor and His Enlightened Quest to Train the Ideal Mate - Wendy Moore

This book relates the bizarre tale of Thomas Day, wealthy English gentleman of the Enlightenment, who was obsessed with the educational theories of Jean-Jacques Rousseau.  So much so that he kidnapped two orphans, with the goal of raising them so that one of them would become his wife, who would live with him in contentment in rural isolation, without servants and serving as his drudge mule, but providing him with intelligent conversation while obeying his every whim.

The lucky one was the one found unacceptable after six months, who was pensioned off.

Moore also covers what happened to the other girl, to Day, to his friends, and to the story, which inspired several novelists of the 19th century, including Henry James.

It's truly impressive how many famous people show up in this tale.

I was also amused at how Day's characterization reminded me of that of Cato in Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome novels, with smallpox scars replacing the beak nose.

I enjoyed this one thoroughly and look forward to reading the author's other works, when I can find them.