SusannaG

Elizabeth: The Forgotten Years
John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

Absolution by Murder

Absolution By Murder: A Sister Fidelma Mystery (Mysteries of Ancient Ireland featuring Sister Fidelma of Cashel) - Peter Tremayne

This is the first "Sister Fidelma" novel.

It is the year 664, and the good Irish nun/judge is on her way to Northumbria, to a synod at the Abbey of Streoneshalh.  There the leaders of the two varieties of Christianity in Britain, the Church of Rome and the Church of Ireland, will debate - and Oswy, King of Northumbria, will decide which version he and his kingdom will adopt.

On the first day of the synod, however, the opening speaker for the Irish, the Abbess Etain of Kildaire, is found dead, her throat slashed.  King Oswy asks Sister Fidelma to investigate.

I had several problems with this novel.  The "Sister Fidelma's World" prologue was hard going.  Did we really need all that information to make sense of the novel?  Couldn't Tremayne have worked some of it into the text?

Secondly, the book did not have much of a historical feel to me.  For the most part, the characters felt modern in nature, but wearing period clothes.  I had to keep reminding myself that it was set in the 7th century.

Thirdly - I guessed the murderer, and the motive, very early.