SusannaG

Progress: 20 %
Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

A Voyage Long and Strange

A Voyage Long and Strange: On the Trail of Vikings, Conquistadors, Lost Colonists, and Other Adventurers in Early America - Tony Horwitz

This entertaining volume follows Tony Horowitz as he searches for the discoverers of America, from the Vikings up to 1620.  (Ever notice how often in U.S. general histories there's very little between Columbus and Jamestown or the Mayflower?  There was plenty going on, by the way.) Once again, he is combining his travelogue with the actual history, as he learns it.  He seems to have a knack for encountering enthusiasts of all colors, many amusing, on his route.

Horowitz has a somewhat flip style, but knows his facts. (I knew I would like this book in the first chapter, where he goes to Newfoundland in search of the Vikings and ends up listening to bad karaoke in a sweat lodge, that I would like this book - but that style isn't for everyone.)