SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us

Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us - Michael Moss

There are perfectly disgusting ethics on display here, but it is an absolutely fascinating read.

Divided into three sections (if you guessed 'salt,' 'sugar,' and 'fat,' you would be right), this account of the packaged food industry, from a New York Times reporter, is horrifying.  The companies do much research on how much sugar (a lot; more for stuff pitched to appeal to children, whose tolerance level is higher than adults), salt (also a lot), and fat (as much as they can stuff in; there is no scientific limit, as humans have no "satiety level" for fat) they can cram into their products so that we will buy more and more, and eat more and more, of what they're selling us.  Because what they're selling isn't palatable if it isn't loaded with salt, sugar, and fat.

Some of it is also very amusing.  The account of how one former high-powered Coke executive now peddles vegetables (he came up with prepackaged, peeled, cut-up carrots) so that he can sleep nights had me snorting with laughter while I was reading it.

Both the science and the ethics discussions were thought-provoking.  This was one of my better reads this year.