SusannaG - Confessions of a Crazy Cat Lady

Lady Cop Makes Trouble
Amy Stewart

Pompeii: A Tale of Murder in Ancient Rome

Pompeii: A Tale of Murder in Ancient Rome - Robert Colton

This is a historical mystery with a very twisty plot.

Set (mostly) in ancient Pompeii, what interested me was that rather than taking the often-done course of setting his tale during the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Colton has decided to set his book in events in the period around the time of the great earthquake in A.D. 62.  A nice variant, and I liked it.

I also liked that several of the characters are known ancient inhabitants of ancient Pompeii - certainly Jucundus (with whom readers of the Cambridge Latin Course will be familiar) and Julia Felix, and probably several more.

(Note: If you read the kindle edition, do remember to press the "backwards" button several times when you open the book; I found both a long character list (very helpful), and a map of the ancient city.  Both were very useful.)

My main problem was with the motivation of one of the two primary characters, Tay.  We know what he did, but not why.  I was left still feeling very curious, not only as to his motivations, but as to his past.

A lesser problem was the extreme twistiness of the story; I think it would have been a better novel if it had a slightly less contorted plot.  (On the other hand, I liked very much the starting of each chapter with letters; a nice touch.)

I'd probably read another book in the series, though I might not go out looking for it in particular.