SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Revelation: A Matthew Shardlake Mystery

Revelation (Matthew Shardlake #4) - C.J. Sansom

This is the fourth book in my favorite historical mystery series.

This time, it is the spring of 1543, and Matthew Shardlake must keep his client in Bedlam (the city's "hospital" for the insane), in order to keep him from being burned as a heretic.  Meanwhile, the Bishop of London is busy persecuting would-be "reformers" of the church, particularly Lutherans and proto-Puritans, who would seem to be about half the city.

At court, Shardlake's patron, Archbishop Cranmer, fears that he might follow Cardinal Wolsey's example and "fall" from Henry VIII's favor, which would probably be fatal, and the king himself is going a-courting.  Having disposed of Catherine Howard, he is making eyes at a reluctant Catherine Parr.

Oh yes - and there's a serial killer with a thing for the Book of Revelation on the loose.