SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Aladdin's Lamp, by John Freely

Aladdin's Lamp: How Greek Science Came to Europe Through the Islamic World - John Freely

I was excited on starting this book, as the subject interests me: how the scientific knowledge of the ancient Greeks and Romans came to Medieval Europe via the Arab world.

Unfortunately, this book was organized "X of Y, known in the Middle Ages as 'Shazaam,'" then a list of the thinker's dates, and his main ideas.  For each scientist/philosopher, one after the other.  This repetitious format bored me, and did not do justice to the material covered.  Frankly, it reminded me of a study list for an exam.

Also, there were problems of focus and organization, and frankly too much extraneous material for a non-specialist reader (an inundation, for the length of the book).

I guess my lingering impression of this book is disappointment at a wasted opportunity.