SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Working IX to V, by Vicki Leon

Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World - Vicki LeĆ³n

This is a rather flippant (and rather funny) jobs guide to the ancient Greco-Roman world (with a few side-trips to Ptolemaic Egypt).

If one were a slave, and slaves were common, I'd definitely rather be a sandaligerula, whose job was to change her master or mistress' shoes, than be doomed to work in a mine (life expectancy: three months), or as a field hand on a latifundia (plantation).  The life of an ornatrix (hair dresser) wasn't a bed of roses, either, as it was filled with dyes made of urine, cuttlefish ink, decomposed leeches, and pigeon dung.

An interesting book, with jokey sketches illustrating most of the articles, as well as life sketches of some of the folks known to have had the jobs described.

This was not a deep read, by any means, but it was reasonably amusing.