SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

1421, by Gavin Menzies

1421: The Year China Discovered America - Gavin Menzies

I thought I'd take a shot at this one, as I have this fatal weakness for pseudo-science and pseudo-history - but I couldn't even come close to finishing it, it was so craptastic.

It was so poorly written, and so repetitive (Mr. Menzies informs us six times that he is a retired Royal Navy captain.  In the first chapter.), and Menzies shows such a poor grasp of what good evidence is, that I had to bail.

I'm with the late Carl Sagan that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence," (and surely proving the Chinese discovered America is an extraordinary claim) but Menzies doesn't provide anything close to "extraordinary evidence."  (He has, in fact, been roundly debunked.)  He does provide a lot of pretty pictures in the insert, which is why I give this one 1/2 star.