SusannaG

H. Rider Haggard
Progress: 4 %

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches, by Alan Bradley

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches - Alan Bradley

This Flavia de Luce mystery is set in only a weekend's worth of time at Buckshaw, the collapsing mansion of her ancestors - but what an action-packed weekend!

This tale features the return of Harriet, a murder at the train station, the return of Harriet's Gypsy Moth airplane, Blithe Spirit, the hijinks of a de Luce child even more impossible than Flavia, more about Dogger and the war, a visit from Winston Churchill, Flavia's meditations and investigations with chemistry (occasionally fairly gross), and it ends with a twist in Flavia's direction in life as great as the revelation at the end of Speaking from Among the Bones that Harriet had been found.

Flavia doesn't do much detection of the murder at the train station (as she has a lot else on her mind), but there's so much else going on that I certainly didn't miss it very much.  I really enjoyed this one, and only regretted that I was finishing it so quickly.

Recommended for fans of the series.  ARC courtesy of NetGalley.