SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Murder on Astor Place

Murder on Astor Place - Victoria Thompson

Setting: intriguing (New York City in the 1890s).

Writing: pedestrian.

An additional problem was that I figured out who committed the murder, and the big twist as to why, fairly early.  (I was hoping the author wasn't "going there," and that it was a fake-out, but nope.)

The word choices were sometimes extremely ahistorical.  "Suffragette," in conversation - a decade before the word was coined. (When I threw it at the wall.)  "Post-partum depression," again in conversation - in a book set in 1896.  This was about two pages after suffragette, which is when my mother threw it at the wall.  I didn't even notice that one, as I was still kvelling at "suffragette."

She abandoned it, while I finished it out of sheer curiosity as to the ending.  But I'm certainly not tempted to read any more in the series.