SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

The Pericles Commission, by Gary Corby

The Pericles Commission The Pericles Commission - Gary Corby

This is a fun little historical mystery, the first in a series (so far, three) set in ancient Greece.  This one is set in Athens, in 461 B.C.

I like how many of the characters are known ancient residents (the author has a convenient cast of characters at the front, with asterisks next to those who are known real people).

It starts with a body falling to the ground in front of the feet of the protagonist, Nikolaus, a sculptor's son, and ventures off into political intrigue, sexual politics, the patronage of the arts, and international banking, among other places.  There was a lot explained about the rights of women, the legal and political structure, and how people actually lived, among other things, and all done without info-dumping.  I also did not see any historical errors that jumped out at me.  If you like the Falco books, you might try this one; it has something of a similar tone.

It was a lot of fun, and I plan to read the next one as soon as I can get it from my local library.