SusannaG

John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

The Revenant of Thraxton Hall, by Vaughn Entwistle

The Revenant of Thraxton Hall - Vaughn Entwistle

In The Revenant of Thraxton Hall, it is 1894, and Dr. Arthur Conan Doyle has just killed off Sherlock Holmes at Reichenbach Falls, and is the most unpopular man in London (and possibly England as a whole).  He receives a message from a young and beautiful woman, a famous medium, who has forseen her own death, in the near future, at one of her own seances.  Lady Hope Thraxton begs Conan Doyle to help her.  He ropes in a good friend who is bored - Oscar Wilde - and they head off to a meeting of the Psychical Society, at Thraxton Hall, a great, Gothic, falling-down country house in Yorkshire, to attempt to prevent a murder.

Oh yes, and did I mention that Conan Doyle is having hallucinatory visions of Sherlock Holmes?  He fears he's going mad.

The characterization of Conan Doyle is very nice, and that of Oscar Wilde very amusing.  I also was much amused by the other psychics and investigators at the meeting, including the eminent scientist Sir William Crookes, a famous levitator from America, a medium clearly modeled on Madame Blavatsky (she comes with a familiar, a monkey on a leash), and a mysterious count from central Europe.

This would make a very nice read for spooky October nights.

ARC from NetGalley - many thanks.