SusannaG - Confessions of a Crazy Cat Lady

Lady Cop Makes Trouble
Amy Stewart

A Test of Wills, by Charles Todd

A Test Of Wills  - Charles Todd

A Test of Wills is a historical mystery, set in 1919.  Inspector Ian Rutledge has shell shock, from his war experience on the western front, and has just returned to his old, pre-1914 job at Scotland Yard.  His boss loathes him (he was the "golden boy" before the war), and has assigned him to a case where a scapegoat may be needed, a murder-by-shotgun case down in rural Warwickshire.

Colonel Charles Harris, a war hero from both the Boer and World wars, has been brutally murdered by having his head shot off by a shotgun.  The local constabulary would like to blame the local anarchist/communist rabble-rouser, but he has an excellent alibi (he was haranging half the town in the market square).  The man they would like not to arrest is another war hero, Captain Wilton, a flying ace.  Who has friends at Buckingham Palace. So they have called in Scotland Yard.

Rutledge quickly realizes most of the locals are not telling him the whole truth about many things, but whether their lies concern the murder is another question he must deal with.

Also, he's afraid he's losing his grip on his sanity.

This one was well written, and I did not guess the killer, despite the author playing fair in leaving clues.  I would look forward to reading another title in what I understand is a fairly good-sized series at this point.

I'd recommend this one to those who like historical mysteries, or think this sounds like an intriguing setting.