SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Cocaine Blues, by Kerry Greenwood

Cocaine Blues - Kerry Greenwood

This is the first volume in a series of historical mysteries (now going on 20 volumes, I think), set in the 1920s, about the Hon. Phryne Fisher, a Bright Young Thing who really is quite bright, and has the utmost confidence in herself, who decides becoming a detective would be fun.

She gets her first case from one of London society's worried fathers, concerned that his daughter may be being poisoned by her fortune-seeking husband, so that he can inherit her money.  Miss Fisher takes the case, which involves a move from London to Melbourne, Australia.

Miss Fisher has the best wardrobe in town (possibly in all of Australia), diamante garters, birth control, and a discreet little gun, as well as her wits.  But what do cocaine smuggling, an illegal abortionist, a  nouveau riche couple with more money than sense, and Russian dancers have to do with the case?

This book is as light and bubbly as a glass of vintage champagne.  The mystery plot itself is not the greatest, but the cast of characters and the setup for the series I found charming.  (I believe Australian TV have made a series out of these books, as well.  That sounds fun, too.)