SusannaG

Progress: 15 %

Wings of Fire, by Charles Todd

Wings Of Fire - Charles Todd

This historical mystery, set in 1919 Cornwall, is the sequel to A Test of Wills

At Scotland Yard, Inspector Rutledge's boss, who dislikes him, wishes to keep him out of the juicy serial killer murders taking place in London (the press is calling it a new Ripper).  So when the Yard gets a request from someone high up in the government that they investigate the deaths of three half-siblings in Cornwall, all members of a prominent family (down as two suicides and an accidental death), the Super makes sure Rutledge gets what is sure to be a thankless job.   (And to keep him out of the New Ripper case, which he'd like to solve himself, naturally.)

Rutledge drives to Cornwall (he is claustrophobic, from his war service, and dislikes trains), and discovers that one of the suicides is a war poet whose poetry helped get him through the war.  And that the family a few decades ago was large (the patriarch, his daughter, her three husbands, her six children, and a step-son), but is now reduced to only three.  Rutledge finds this suspicious - but his only evidence for murder may be in the poetry, and in wisps of memory.

I thought this one featured an excellent portrait of village England on the edge of the 1920s (as did A Test of Wills), and was very well plotted.  The evidence could be used to point at several suspects about equally well until very late.  I found this a really enjoyable read.