SusannaG

John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter, by Tom Franklin

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter - Tom Franklin

Set in rural Mississippi, a land of magnolias, kudzu, and lob-lolly pines, this is a mystery novel with two narrators, "Scary Larry" Ott, who has had no friends for 25 years, and his former friend, Silas Jones.

Larry Ott was a lonely boy in 1982, when his first date ended in disaster (the girl disappeared, and although he was never arrested, he was found guilty in the court of local public opinion), and now is a lonely man.  He runs his late father's auto shop, where no one stops, visits his mama at the local nursing home on her "good" days, and takes care of the chickens.  And reads more than anyone else in town, and possibly the entire county.

His former friend, Silas "32" Jones (his old baseball number at the high school) is the town constable, where his duties include stopping trespassing in the woods owned by the local lumber mill, writing traffic tickets, and fishing snakes out of mailboxes.

Then another girl disappears.  Did Larry do it?  Did Larry even do the first crime?  What is Silas on the run from, within himself?

I really enjoyed this one.  Narrators alternate, and much is told in flashbacks.  A very atmospheric mystery, and not a cookie-cutter one.