SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

An Either/Or

I was tagged by Themis-Athena, so here goes.

Booklet or Tome?   Tome, all the way.  I like big books, and I can not lie.  Two of my favorite genres (history and historical fiction) both tend to produce big fat books, anyway.

Pre-Owned or New?  I'm not picky, if the book is in good shape (no pages missing/falling out, etc.).  At any rate, most of the bookstores around here that aren't Christian Bookstores are used or used/new (though we do have a Barnes & Noble).

Historical Fiction or Fantasy?  Historical fiction, by a mile.  I read fantasy occasionally (and read a lot of it as a child), and have loved Tolkien since the 1970s, but I read a lot more historical fiction.

Hardcover or Paperback?  In most cases, I don't really care.  The exception comes where my passion for big fat books comes in, as sometimes huge hardcovers are just more than I can physically handle well.  (My copy of Gone with the Wind, for example, is my grandmother's hardcover from the 1930s, but I have found I will have to get another copy to actually read it, as I can't manage it.  Tried and failed a few years ago.)  This is a great improvement from my situation 10 years ago, when I came home from the hospital after my stroke, and could only manage hardcovers (and then, only hardcovers of a certain size).

Funny or Sad?  Funny.  Though I don't read non-stop humor books, I'm really not one for tear-jerkers.  (That goes for films, as well.)

Do you prefer reading in Summer or Winter?  I'm going to go off the reservation and say "autumn."  I love snuggling in bed with a book when the air is starting to get crisp at night, and the leaves are falling.  My alternate answer is "all year."

Classics or Mainstream?  Classics.  My parents are English professors, and I grew up with large numbers of English and American classics all over the house, and listening to them being discussed.  (I still recall with amusement when we had 31 copies of Leaves of Grass floating around the house.)  I sometimes have problems with insomnia, and my standard remedy is Victorian novels, of which we have a ton, many of which I haven't gotten to yet.  I will sometimes read and like bestsellers, but the better bet for me is a classic.

Guidebook or Fiction?  I'm interpreting this as fiction or non-fiction.  Probably non-fiction, though I read plenty of novels.  Most of my non-fiction reads are history or biography, but I also read popular science and general non-fiction.

Crime Novel or Thriller?  Mystery, especially either "golden age" mysteries by Sayers, Christie, Stout, etc., or historical mysteries.  I read a lot of historical mystery.  It's like catnip for me.

Ebook or Print?  Most of the time, it doesn't matter.  Whichever version has the best price, or in whatever form I can most easily find the book I want to read.  The exception is really thick books where the choice is hardcover or ebook, where my preferred form is ebook.  Because I find it a lot easier to physically manage.

Collecting or Clearing Out?  Collecting!  I am *at least* fifth generation in a line of people who prefer to never throw anything out.  (You should have seen my grandmother's attic!)  I still have books given to me when I was two.  We have (full) bookshelves in every room of the house, baring the bathrooms (fear of damp hurting the books).  Also books in piles, on various pieces of furniture, and on the floor.

Internet or Bookstore?  Uh, both?  I can't resist shiny new books in either place.  The internet is great for books I know I want, and bookstores (especially independents) are great for serendipitous discovery.

Backlist or New Publications?  Mostly backlist, though I have recently signed up for NetGalley, which is changing that slightly.  Still a lot of backlist, though.

Best or Bad Seller?  Given that choice, probably "bad"?

Cookbook or Baking Book?  Cookbook.  Baking takes more precision than I can manage.  Also, chemically it often requires real sugar, which is problematic for me.

Who's Next?  Oh, gosh, can't keep track of who's done it or not at this point!  If you'd like to take a shot at it, and you're reading this, consider yourself tagged?