SusannaG

H. Rider Haggard
Progress: 4 %

Cards on the Table, by Agatha Christie

Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot, #15) - Agatha Christie

This is a Poirot mystery, and one I hadn't read before, and one from the "classic" period - 1936.

A man who brags to Poirot that he collects people - specifically, people who got away with murder - hosts a dinner party that proves fatal, of four sleuths (Inspector Battle of Scotland Yard, Hercule Poirot, the mystery novelist Ariane Oliver, and Col. Race, a secret service man), and four others, his pet murderers.

During the course of a bridge game after dinner, our host is murdered - but by whom?  The sleuths decide to team up to solve the case, and Poirot is reduced to studying the bridge tallies, his knowledge of psychology, and "the little grey cells."

This was a nice little palate cleanser from a couple of heavy reads; though I wonder how it would read to someone unfamiliar with bridge.  (I grew up with it; my parents and grandparents played a lot of it when I was a a child.  But it is no longer the behemoth of popular card games it used to be.)