SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

The Difference Engine

The Difference Engine - William Gibson

What an odd little book this is!   It's steampunk from before there was steampunk, as far as I can tell.

It is set mostly in London in 1855 - but a London in which Great Britain went through a class war in the 1830s, and the "Rad Lords" (the Industrial Radical Party) won.  Lord Byron is now Prime Minister.  The hereditary aristocracy (but not the monarchy) has been abolished, and titles are awarded for merit.  Babbage, Brunel, and Darwin, for example are all "Lords."  Byron's daughter, Lady Byron, is "The Queen of Engines" (and is a shadowy presence in this book).

The computer age has come early - Babbage's difference engine (a mechanical computer) was made, and worked.  All advanced countries have great engines - the largest in Britain belongs to Scotland Yard, while the French are proud of their Napoleon engine.

The story, in five segments and an afterthought (and then a note from our authors, telling you who the narrator is, among other interesting things - very much worth a read), covers the whole year, from fomenting revolt in the Republic of Texas to the invention of "line-streaming" steam automobiles, from fomenting industrial agitation to thwarting the police state.

I think my favorite bit was Benjamin Disraeli complaining about the "modern paperless office" of the 1850s.

This was a strange and basically enjoyable novel - but if the authors have to explain their trick in the afterword, how effective was it, really?