SusannaG

H. Rider Haggard
Progress: 4 %

The Garden Plot, by Marty Wingate

The Garden Plot - Marty Wingate

In The Garden Plot, Pru Parke has packed up her goods in Texas, and returned to her mother's homeland, England, to restart her life.  Once in London, she rents a house in Chelsea (the owners are on an extended holiday in Italy), and attempts to get hired in a permanent job as a head gardener at some great house, or house museum.  After nearly a year in London, having found only spotty jobs in town, and many rejection letters, and having used up most of her savings, she is facing the prospect of having to return to Texas (where her old job is open to her) - when she finds both a Roman mosaic, and a dead body, while refurbishing an old garden.

Pru has a good eye for detail, but is a little naive about people, which had me thinking "no, don't do that!" on occasion, and sometimes resulting in the novel being a bit "the perils of Prunella."  The mystery is nicely constructed, and I liked her budding friendships with her real estate agent, Jo, Jo's daughter and daughter-in-law, Lucy and Cordelia, and the police inspector in charge of the case of the body in the greenhouse.  The atmosphere, of an American in London, is well done.  If this is the first in a series, I'd read the next book.
My ARC copy courtesy of NetGalley/Random House.  Many thanks!