SusannaG

Queen's Gambit: A Novel
Elizabeth Fremantle
Progress: 22 %

Happiness is New Shoes

My mother and I made an experimental order of shoes from Britain about a week or so ago.  (I have hard-to-fit feet: short (US 6), wide (EE), and with high arches.  I can't wear heels over about an inch, due to balance issues, and sandals have never worked for me.  I can rule out 90-95% of shoes in most stores or catalogs off the top of the bat.  My history in shoe stores, as far back as I can remember - 1970 - is a tale of mostly disappointment.)

My new shoes just came, and are wonderful.  They are a rich brown suede, soft and buttery.  They were actually a little roomy before I added the optional inserts that came with them!

I have a big pile of unread books (decisions, decisions), and new shoes that fit.

I am a very happy woman.