SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

The Monuments Men

The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History - Robert M. Edsel, Bret Witter

The Monuments Men covers the work of the American and British soldier-academics who did their best to save the art of western Europe from both the Nazis and the invading Allied armies.  (I loved how when told how long the suggested protected Monuments list was for Normandy, the generals said 'no'; when told most sites were churches and other locations of non-strategic interest, they changed their minds.)

It covers the work of the Monuments Men in the armies that invaded France, the low countries, and Germany (their activities in Italy are reserved for another book).  It has a heavy focus on their lives, including letters home to family.

This makes an interesting comparison to The Rape of Europa, which has its focus on the magnitude of the thefts, how the Nazis did it, and then, in the last third, the work of the Monuments Men.  This was a good read, but I enjoyed The Rape of Europa slightly more, and would suggest it first, I think, for someone interested in the subject of the biggest art heist in history.