SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

May Roundup

The Bill of the Century: The Epic Battle for the Civil Rights Act - Clay Risen The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History - Bret Witter, Robert M. Edsel The Garden Plot - Marty Wingate Faro's Daughter - Georgette Heyer Storm Front - Jim Butcher The King's Dogge: The Story of Francis Lovell - Nigel Green

Not a bad reading month!

My best read this last month was Clay Risen's The Bill of the Century: The Epic Struggle for the Civil Rights Act, which was a fascinating play-by-play coverage of the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1965.

There was no worst read, as nothing was under 3 stars.  The Monuments Men was interesting, but I think a better study of the magnitude of the Nazi art thefts is The Rape of Europa, which also covers the work of the Monuments Men.  The book that didn't go where I thought it was going (not that it was bad) was The King's Dogge: The Story of Francis Lovell.  The Georgette Heyer was what you'd expect, and a lovely thing on a night of bad insomnia.  The Garden Plot was fun, and I'd read the next volume, if it's a series.  Storm Front was amusing; I'd probably read another volume in the series, but wouldn't necessarily go looking for it.

Here's hoping June is as good a reading month.  I have history (about World War 1, and possibly also other subjects), historical fiction (probably several), and mystery (just knowing my reading habits) in the probable batting lineup.