SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

The Boleyn King

The Boleyn King - Laura Andersen

It was ... OK.  (And it should have been subtitled "Everyone Loves Minuette.")

I was interested in this one because of the "alternate history" angle ("Anne Boleyn bears a son, and lives.  Henry had only two wives.") - what is there is interesting, but I was disappointed Andersen did not do more with it.  Anne Boleyn as dowager queen, moody and still the brightest woman in the room, but going blind - yes, I can believe that.  Elizabeth seems herself.  William feels like a healthy Edward, more or less.  Lord Rochford (Anne's brother, George, the Lord Protector) - is there mostly as a plot device, as we get pretty much no characterization of him except "eminence grise of William's court."  How'd he get to be Lord Protector,  rather than have Anne serve as Regent?  We're not told.  Why?  We're not told.  What are his motives for anything?  We're not told.

And more of the book is taken up by love triangle, than by alternate history.  I am not a fan of love triangles, either here or generally, especially with a side order of "I can't talk to him/her because the plot says I can't of reasons.  Yeah, reasons."

I'm somewhat curious as to the plots of the other two novels in the series, but probably not curious enough to read them.