SusannaG

Queen's Gambit: A Novel
Elizabeth Fremantle
Progress: 22 %

June Roundup

Still Life - Louise Penny Cleopatra's Daughter - Michelle Moran The Cruelest Month (Three Pines Mysteries, No. 3) - Louise Penny A Fatal Grace - Louise Penny The Boleyn King - Laura Andersen Strong Poison (The Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries) - Dorothy L. Sayers

The best read this month was a re-read: Strong Poison, by Dorothy Sayers.  (One of my friends here posted it was her birthday, so a re-read of an old favorite felt appropriate.)

I discovered a new (to me) series, the Armand Gamache mysteries by Louise Penny, all set in the village of Three Pines, in Quebec, Canada.  The first was Still Life, but I also enjoyed the next two, A Fatal Grace and The Cruelest Month.  I would suggest reading the series, which I recommend, in order.

I also discovered a historical novel with a Roman setting, Cleopatra's Daughter, which I enjoyed, and if I had been a teenager would probably have loved (it slants a bit YA, probably due to its narrator, who is 10-15).

The Boleyn King was the disappointment of the month, despite my giving it three stars.  It is sold as "alternative history" focusing on Anne Boleyn having a son, and surviving Henry VIII.  The reality of it was Tudor historical romance, with a "heroine," Minuette, with distinct Mary Sue tendencies, and a luuuuuv triangle waiting in the wings.  It was OK, but it was a total waste of a great fictional opportunity.  (I will not be reading the subsequent volumes of the trilogy, as I understand that the love triangle storyline is to the fore.  I hate love triangles.)