244 Following

SusannaG - Confessions of a Crazy Cat Lady

Just another GR refugee.  Other than that, I had a stroke in 2004, and read almost anything I can get my hands on, though I have a particular weakness for history, mystery, and historical fiction.

Currently reading

Ice Ghosts: The Epic Hunt for the Lost Franklin Expedition
Paul Watson
Progress: 6 %
I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life
Ed Yong
Progress: 40 %
Wizard's First Rule
Terry Goodkind
Progress: 49 %
Thomas Cromwell: The Untold Story of Henry VIII's Most Faithful Servant
Tracy Borman
Progress: 14 %
Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life
Helen Czerski
Progress: 20 %
The Hanover Square Affair
Ashley Gardner
Progress: 10 %
Medieval Tastes: Food, Cooking, and the Table (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
Beth Archer Brombert, Massimo Montanari
Progress: 10 %
Scars of Independence: America's Violent Birth
Holger Hoock
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Yuval Noah Harari
Progress: 9 %
Elizabeth: The Forgotten Years
John Guy
Progress: 20/512 pages

Book a Day #24: Book that Reminds You of Your English Teacher

The Birthday Party - Harold Pinter

The Birthday Party, by Harold Pinter.  Part of a great class I had in college on "modern British and American drama," from an excellent teacher. Really made me appreciate a lot of fine modern plays.  (Though not even Dr. Raedel could make me like Samuel Beckett.  Sorry, Dr. Raedel.)


My mother kept asking me how I was doing in the class, and she kept being frustrated because I could only say "I don't know: 40% is the final exam, which we haven't taken yet, and the other 60% is the paper, which hasn't been turned in yet."  (It was no worries, though - I got an A in the class.)