SusannaG

Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Someone Knows My Name, by Lawrence Hill

Someone Knows My Name: A Novel - Lawrence Hill

This fine historical novel is the tale of Aminata Diallo.  In her old age, about to testify on the true conditions of slavery before the British Parliament, she recalls her life.

Her parents, whom she had not seen since the age of 11. Her kidnapping and enslavement.  Her endurance of the slave ship, of being sold (several times), of South Carolina - its plantations and great city, Charles Town.  Of her long voyage to freedom, and its high costs.  Of the importance of literacy in her life.

It is far from a comfortable read (especially for a descendant of slave owners), but it is a fine novel.

This book is also known as The Book of Negroes - though for obvious reason it was not published under that title in the United States.  (A book sold under that title here would sell very, very poorly, for one thing.)  The British Army's The Book of Negroes was real (although Diallo is invented) - you can see copies of it at the national libraries of Canada, Britain, and the United States.

Part of this novel is set on St. Helena's Island, S.C. - I can only commend visits to Penn Center, on St. Helena's Island, and the Gullah Tour, on Hilton Head Island, to those interested in what became of the black slaves of the S.C. sea islands, their language, culture and heritage.