SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

August Book a Day #6: Best Bedtime Story

Maida's Little Island (Maida Books Series, Number 4) - Inez Haynes Irwin Maida's Little Shop - Inez Haynes Gillmore Maida's Little House - Inez Haynes Irwin Maida's Little School. - Inez Haynes. Irwin Maida's Little Camp (Maida Series, No. 5) - Inez Haynes Irwin Maidas Little Village - Inez Haynes Irwin Maida's Little Houseboat - Inez Haynes Irwin

The Maida books, by Inez Haynes Irwin.  My very favorite bedtime books growing up. A group of children from a working class neighborhood in Boston make a new friend - Maida, a girl with a severe limp.  Who turns out to be the daughter of a millionaire.  Great fun.  I had my mother's copies; they were out-of-print when I was a child in the 1970s.  (Still are, I think.)

(What was the very best, though, was my parents or grandparents telling me a bedtime story.  I got tales of the rural South from the 1880s through the 1950s, of New York City in the 1920s, growing up in the 1940s, and so forth.  Wonderful, wonderful stories.)