SusannaG

Progress: 166/586 pages
King Solomon's Mines
H. Rider Haggard
Progress: 4 %

August Book a Day #15: Best Long Read(s)

The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas,  Robin Buss Vanity Fair - John Carey Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke Bleak House - Charles Dickens, Hablot Knight Browne, Nicola Bradbury The First Man in Rome - Colleen McCullough Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era - James M. McPherson The Last Lion 1: Visions of Glory 1874-1932 - William Raymond Manchester Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln - Doris Kearns Goodwin Peter the Great: His Life and World - Robert K. Massie

I listed ten, because just one seemed so limited - I like big fat books.

I always have a very good time with novels The Lord of the Rings, The Count of Monte Cristo, Vanity Fair, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Bleak House, or The First Man in Rome.

And there's non-fiction, mostly history, on my list, because that's how I roll.  Battle Cry of Freedom, William Manchester's bio of Winston Churchill, Team of Rivals, and Robert K. Massie's bio of Peter the Great are all excellent reads, too.