SusannaG

Progress: 22 %
1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

August Book a Day #19: Best YA Novel(s)

Father's Arcane Daughter - E.L. Konigsburg Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman

I'm going to name both two popular modern books that are marketed as YA (a Harry Potter and The Golden Compass - I recommend both series in total), and a book from my own adolescence that I enjoyed thoroughly that is probably YA (we didn't use the term then): Father's Arcane Daughter.  All are fun reads, and recommended.

I think HP and HDM are well known to everyone these days, so I'll just say a word about Father's Arcane Daughter.  It's by E.L. Konigsburg, and is narrated by "poor little rich boy" Winston Carmichael, who has smotheringly overprotective parents, a younger sister, Heidi, who has problems, and no life.

And then in 1952 his long-lost half-sister, Caroline, shows up from the dead (she was kidnapped and never found long before Winston or Heidi were ever born - one reason Winston's father is so overprotective), just in time to claim a large inheritance.

Is this woman *really* Caroline Carmichael?  Where was she all those years?  What are her real motives?  What do Winston and Heidi have to do with it?

It was out of print for a while, but I think is back in print?  I don't think many have read it (about 450 on GR), but it's a fine, strange novel.