SusannaG

Queen's Gambit: A Novel
Elizabeth Fremantle
Progress: 22 %

August Book a Day #24: Best Biography/Autobiography

The Last Lion 1: Visions of Glory 1874-1932 - William Raymond Manchester The Last Lion 2: Winston Spencer Churchill Alone, 1932-40 - William Raymond Manchester Marie Antoinette: The Journey - Antonia Fraser The Wives of Henry VIII - Antonia Fraser The Life of Elizabeth I - Alison Weir The Children of Henry VIII - Alison Weir Cleopatra: A Life - Stacy Schiff

William Manchester's two volumes on the life of Winston Churchill, up through his becoming prime minister in 1940.  Fascinating.  (Which reminds me I have volume 3 of The Last Lion yet to read; but it's hardback and I don't know if I can physically manage it!)

Honorable mention: Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette: The Journey and The Wives of Henry VIII, and Alison Weir's The Children of Henry VIII (in the UK: The Children of England) and The Life of Elizabeth I, and Stacy Schiff's Cleopatra: A Life.  All very good reads, and I recommend them.