SusannaG

Colin Falconer
Progress: 15 %

A Conspiracy of Violence

A Conspiracy of Violence - Susanna Gregory

A Conspiracy of Violence is an entertaining spy story set in restoration London.  The year: 1662.  Our narrator, Thomas Chaloner, the nephew of one of the regicides (the men who signed Charles I's death sentence), a veteran of the battle of Naseby, and an out-of-work spy.  He had been for a decade an agent of Cromwell's government in the Netherlands, spying on the Dutch, and reporting to Cromwell's Secretary of State and chief spy-master, Mr. Thurloe.

These days, Cromwell is dead, Charles II is back in London, and so is Thomas Chaloner, though using another name, as it is not a safe thing to be associated with a regicide - especially for a retired spy, and one who wants to get back in the game.  He has brought to London the woman he hopes to marry, a Dutch woman named Metje. He is poor due to only spotty work, and his attempts to get a job from the royal government are complicated by someone attempting to kill Mr. Thurloe, who is retired but still has many connections (and enemies).

And then we are off on a twisty tale of spies, murder, attempted murder, wild animals on the loose, Puritans and reprobates, conspirators in places high and low, and a hunt for a treasure hidden in the Tower of London.  It does a good job of capturing the period's atmosphere.

Unfortunately, no plague.  Maybe in the next one in the series, which I will be looking out for.

(Note: 3.5/4 stars.  Still a little indecisive on rating.)