SusannaG

H. Rider Haggard
Progress: 4 %

The Yankee Club

The Yankee Club - Michael Murphy

The Yankee Club is a mystery (really more of a thriller) set in 1933.  A retired Pinkerton agent, Jake Donovan - now a bestselling mystery novelist - returns to New York from Florida.  His best friend and former partner is murdered after a confrontation at The Yankee Club, a speakeasy in Queens, and Donovan is determined to solve the case.  Then the plot turns to conspiracy, Cole Porter, the girl he left behind, her fiance (an obnoxious banker), and various other complications.

And I didn't believe a word of it.  It really did not grab me.

I think part of the problem was that nearly every page seemed to have a 1930s factoid to hit me over the head with.  I did not find this immersing - I found it jarring and that it interrupted the flow of my reading.

Practically every character was either a cliche ("hooker with a heart of gold," for example) or a 1930s cliche, or an actual celebrity from the 1930s (Cole Porter, etc.).  Also, the author couldn't seem to decide if Jake Donovan was all-out hard-boiled, or a softie at heart.  He needed more characterization.

Perhaps others will like this novel better - I am not a fan of "hard-boiled" detective novels, which I think is what this one was aiming at in tone.  I'd probably have enjoyed it more as a movie than a novel.

My ARC courtesy of Alibi/Random House/NetGalley - much thanks!