SusannaG

1913: The Eve of War
Paul Ham
Progress: 20 %

Earworms: 1961 and 1962

We entered class with the music we ended with last week, which was 1960's most massive dance or rock hit: The Twist.

We came out to a preview of next week: Little Green Onions, by Booker T and the MGs.

This week - 1961 and 1962.  Still a highly variable period on the radio, with novelty, folk, pop, rock, and schmaltz all producing hits, as in 1960, but more rock in the mix.

Big in 1961: Stand by Me, Let's Twist Again, Blue Moon, Runaround Sue, The Wanderer, Tossin' and Turnin', Crazy, and Where the Boys Are.

Big in 1962: Big Girls Don't Cry, Breaking Up is Hard to Do, Hey Baby (a song without which college football Saturdays in the south would be incomplete), If I Had a Hammer, Johnny Angel, The Loco-Motion, Palisades Park, the Peppermint Twist, Surfin' Safari, The Monster Mash, Twistin' the Night Away, and Up on the Roof.  And, meanwhile in Britain: The Beatles (and Beatlemania) arrive.  (They won't chart in the U.S. until 1964.)

And having very good years in both years: Elvis Presley.